PART THREE

FARMS

 

Most of the farms and farmland and quite a few small holdings were to be found on the edge or actually on the moors, together with farms located in Moorends. Most of the older farm houses were built facing south and had duck ponds quite close to the house.

The Shearburn's and Barber's Moor End Farm were located between the railway crossing and the Fox Gate Farm.  These farms can be found on maps dating back as far back as the mid to late 1800s.  The scenery in this part of Moorends, especially looking over towards the moors, is beautiful and reminiscent of Dutch landscapes.

Fox Gate Farm was the original name of the Fox and Duck, this name was used when the farm house front room was changed and used as a country pub.

This farm was built by Makin Durham in the warping days of the mid 1800s, it was used for accommodation for some of the men, also horses drays and other equipment were kept here.

 

 

Fox Gate Farm or the Fox and Duck in 2009

 Moorends Farm can be located on the right side of Goole Road, next to Warp Farm.  It is said that a new farmhouse has been built near to the site of the old one.  It is still a working farm.

Bloody Hall Farm is located off Goole Road, preceding the Warping Drain pumping station, where the farm shop now stands.  Walter Ketteringham took over the farm from his father. The farm is now named The Hall.

The farm is one of the oldest in the area, being built in the early 1700s and is still a working farm.

 

            

                                                     The Hall in 2008

Crown Farm is the pink farmhouse on the left side of Goole Road, travelling towards Rawcliffe Bridge.  Three generations of the Measures family have owned and worked this farm, Charles Measures, known locally as 'Jammy' Measures bought the farm in 1929. When he worked at Thorne Colliery he favoured jam and bread, he left the pit and rented the farm, working very hard incorporating a milk round into the business. He stayed on his diet of mostly bread and jam in order to help to save up and buy the farm.

 

It is thought that the farmhouse was originally built in an area a short distance away in the next field.  Apparently, it is said that the house was moved brick by brick and rebuilt where it stands today.

 

         

  An aerial picture of Crown Farm, thought to have been taken in the late 1940s, early 1950s.

                                           Goole Road seemed to have been just a lane in those days.

 

Plum Tree Farm, which is another really old farm can be found on maps dated in the early 1800s, is situated between Crown Farm and Fox Gate Farm, on Goole Road, it is still a working farm.

 

                      

                                                  Plum Tree Farm in 2008

 

Warp Farm stands on the right side of Goole Road before Durham's Warping Drain, travelling north towards Rawcliffe Bridge. It was built in the post warping era, in the late 1800's.  The original farmhouse still exists, the old barns have only recently been demolished and it is now known as Warp House and is a private residence.

 

               

                                                              Warp Farm in 2008

Little Warp Farm could be located on the same side of Goole Road, next to Warp Farm, before the Warping Drain.  Unfortunately, it no longer exists but can be found on maps dated in the mid 1800s.

Orchard Farm is another 19th Century farm, situated across the road from Bloody Hall.

Bloomhill Farm is where the gamekeeper for the area once lived in bygone days.  It seems that this farm could have been one of the first farms in the vicinty.  It stood on the site where Brown's Garage is today.

The farmhouse was built on an area of land named 'Bloomhill'. Bloomhill must have spread over most of the Marshland Road area, before Pease and Partners purchased it.  There are three different locations referring to 'Bloomhill', these being Bloom Hill, near the Winning Post, where the Bloomhill estate of private houses is today.  Bloomhill Close, on the opposite side of Marshland Road to where the farm once stood and Bloomhill Road, where the Catholic church is located.

Robert Atkins took over the farm in the 1920's,  While he and his family lived at the farm, his son, Sam Atkin was married and later moved into Micklethwaite Farm - to be found at the end of The Avenue - his son Barry still lives in this farmhouse, although it is no longer a working farm.

 

Micklethwaite Farm in 2008

Makin Durham's estate met the eastern boundaries of Micklethwaite Farm,the first borehole was drilled on this land,in search of coal, in 1904. The collliery was built in this area later and was completed in 1926.   

Robert's daughter married Charlie Parkinson who moved into North Common Farm with their family, his son Donald now lives in a new farmhouse named North Common House, built in the grounds of the old farmhouse, where today, the only remains of the original farmhouse is the door step. This farm is still a working farm.

There were also other farms scattered over the railway towards Selby Road, in the area of North Common, which is the boundary to the west side of Moorends and Thorne.

Travelling from Selby Road on North Common Road, Stainton's Farm stands to the left.  This was the old fever hospital that was built around the turn of the twentieth century.  Apparently, the building continued to be used for isolation/convalescent purposes until the 1950s. The view of the farm house from the front is quite impressive and looks like a typical country hall.

Oak Lea Farm which was built by Walter Ketteringham's grandfather, Sam Ketteringham, is now a private dwelling.  The row of tied farm terraced cottages, known as Hawthorne Cottages. is situated off Marsh Lane next to the farm, in the North Common area.

There are two Dykes Marsh Farms; one is located at the end of Marsh Lane, the other on Hadds Lane; these farms date back to the mid 1800s.

East View Farm is probably named so because it faces east, unlike the farms built earlier. The farm stands to the left of Marshland Road, travelling north. prior to the railway crossing. When Mr and Mrs Speakes were married, the land was given to them as a wedding present.  The farm house was built in the early 1920s; their first child was a son, the second child a daughter. Sadly, Mrs Speakes died when her daughter was born and Mr and Mrs France moved into the farm house in order to look after the family.    

 

East View Farm in 2008

The Grange farm house was built in the late nineteenth century, it is said that the land that belonged to the farm in the early days covered Grange Road, West Road, Northgate and up to Orchard Lane.  Pease and Partners bought most of the land and finally the farmhouse and outbuildings. 

 

Grange Farm on Flower Road in 2008

When the farm was first vacated, the inside of the house was used for meeting rooms for various organisations, the out houses were used by the pit's blacksmiths, later it was used as the pit housing offices.

The Barn on Grange Road in 2008

A renovated barn of the farm still stands on Grange Road and is used for the St John's Ambulance Brigade.  Adjoined to the rear of this barn was a larger and more ornate barn, it had many uses including a gym and practice rooms for the colliery band.

Blacker's Farm was sited on the land behind the cinema, demolished in the early 1930s.

New Fields Farm, dating back to the late 1800s, also known as Greaves farm, was situated off Marshland Road; the farm and land was sold to a private developer in the mid 1960s, when the Newfields estate was built.    

Elsie Butler in her mother's back garden in Wilkinson Avenue, the boundary of the garden ran alongside New Fields Farm land, in the distance the farmhouse and out buildings of the farm can be seen.

Broadbent Farm still stands at the top end of Broadbent Gate Lane that runs at the side of the disused Moorville Garage off Marshland Road.

Valetta Farm stands next to Broadbent Farm on Moor Lane.

Moorville Farm and yard was taken over by Mr Linley in the 1960s; the double fronted farm house faces the junction of King Edward Road, Coulman Road and Marshland Road.

Moorville Farm

 

 

Make a Free Website with Yola.