CLOSURE OF THORNE COLLIERY
All private pit owners throughout the country were bought out and pits were nationalised on 'Vesting Day', on the 1st January 1947, they were then under the control of the Government's National Coal Board.
This was when the five day week came in. In 1987, the NCB became the British Coal Corporation, this was terminated in 1997.
The 'temporary closure' of Thorne Colliery came about in 1956, due to flooding and faults found in the shaft walls making the pit unworkable. The pit was kept on a care and maintenance order, with the intention of re-opening it. Only a small number of miners were made redundant on a voluntary basis, others were re-deployed at various pits in the area.
In the good old days
Ghost of Thorne Colliery
In the early 1980s the pit was renovated and the new pit head gear was constructed, a new shaft was in the process of being constructed and a new road was built in order to bypass the village. Hopes that the pit was to be re opened were brought to life as millions of pounds were spent, but to no avail, due to the fall in British coal prices and the coalfields' strikes.
In 2002 it was decided that it would not be economical to proceed with the renovation of the pit, which was almost completed, although there were still massive reserves of coal left in the High Hazel and Barnsley seams. Finally, the pumps were turned off in mid 2004 and on the 18th August 2004, the new pit heads were blown up.
The intention of this was not widely known and when it came to the public's notice the older members of the community, especially the retired miners, were very upset. A large number of them turned out to watch the sad event taking place, to them it was an end of an era.
Moorends had lost it's mine.
THE END OF AN ERA